Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Boot Camp and Half Marathon Ish

Boot camp
So I completed bootcamp a few weeks ago. I kind of sorta thought it would never end. Six weeks isnt a long time, but six weeks waking up at 5:10 in the bless-ed AM is like an eternity. Seriously, some days I thought if I had to get out of bed before 7 one more time, I was gunna- well I wasnt sure what i was "gunna" do, but I am sure it wasnt going to be good. Seriousy tho- once i was up and out the door, life was good.... most the time. I LOVED getting my butt handed to me on a silver platter every morning. Other times I kinda felt like my insides wanted to be on my outsides. But for now we will focus on the goods. Day one of bootcamp- my post pregnancy jello relief society arms could barely- and i mean BARELY give me one push up on my knees. Weak sauce I am telling you. As the weeks went by, I started to feel less sore and a little more strong. I could do a full burpee! (for those of you who dont know what a burpee- dont look it up. they are retarded. not a fan). By the end of camp, I completed 55 real push ups, and did 4.5 miles of hill sprints. My instructor was awesome, totally crazy fit and pushed me to do things I would never allow myself to do BY myself. Tuesdays and Thursdays were our cardio days so in training for my post prego half marathon i counted that as my training. (not a good idea)And Saturdays I would do my long runs.
Half Marathon.
The week before my half, we took a road trip down to St George to watch Spencer run his marathon. 26.2. good on ya for doin that Spence- Totally amazing accomploshment! After watching several finishers, seeing their miserable looking faces and draggin their beat up sorry behinds across the finish line I made the decision... that I really have no desire whatsoever to complete a marathon. I love running halfs- but judging by the looks on peoples faces crossing the 26.2 mile marker- I would want to kill myself, or wish i had dropped dead on the side of the road. ick.
SO ok on to my half marathon, october 13 i woke up early and got to the starting line about 15 minutes before the race started. the weather was pretty chilly- just the way i like it :) then the gun shot sounded and i was off. This race was a beast of a race. the first mile was fine, but mile 2 hit and it was like running up mt olympus, for the next 4 miles straight. not even kidding you. boo. I however am very pleased to say i did not stop "running" i was "running" slower than some people were walking, but i trotted along just fine. i added a full minute per mile to my average speed from my previous races, but hey- i finished and i am happy with that. my final time was 2:14:10. Not super pumped on my time, but oh so totally stoked for the sweet shirt and finisher medal I got.
My next race I fully intend on being better trained, having more months after having a baby behind me, and knocking off some decent time. I hope to get below 2 hours again. who knows, we will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment