Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lets try it again

Meet Spencer- My healthnut- almond milk chuggin brother. He is awesome. When I ran my Half in April with my sweet awesome cousin Susie, He was there to cheer me on- (along with a bunch of other rad people). He saw how sweaty and awesome I looked and decided he wanted to do one..... So he asked me if I wanted to join him in his first expedition. So of course I said heck yes. We signed up for it he started training, and I became a slackface and only trained once or twice a week.Whoops. And here we are....
These two crazies thought it would be a good idea to get up before the sun was even thinking about makin its appearance for the day- to do what? To run 13.1 miles. We sure were freezing- but dont we look excited to go sweat our brains out?
Well- I said a prayer before this race that I wouldn't have to be one of afformentioned Those people. If I never had a testimony of prayer- I sure do now. Thank heavens we got to the start line with enough time for my prayer to be answered. Then we all decided to try and warm up so we were dancin around and stretching to some music. Then the gun shot and we were off- Let me tell you- this Half was a bit different than my first. The first 3.5 miles were up hill... and I thought "throw up hill" in hurricane was bad..... Try 3 times longer! Just kidding- I actually didn't even feel like it at all...As I made my way to the summit I chowed on some Gu Chomps- to give me some energy for the rest of the race.  I maintained a ten minute mile for the first 4 miles up to the summit- then I decided to kick it in to gear. You know how some side show freaks aka exercise enthusiasts become obssesed with exerting themselves- and they kinda seem like they are on drugs cuz they are crazy? Well- thats because they hit their "second wind" I felt like I was flying-maybe even high-well invincible if you will.... and knocked two minutes off my miles from 4-9. So I ran an 8 minute mile for 5 miles and then I started to slow a little bit- but as the finish neared- I was gettin burned out-
but still kept chuggin- I came in at a whoppin 4 minutes faster than my last Half.  13.1 in under two hours baby! 1:58:14. I placed 13th in my age group and 167 over all. There were over 400 participants- so that gives you an idea of where I was in the pack. Nicely tucked somewhere in the middle. Just so you know- I have never run an 8 min mile in my life.... my calves feel like someone inserted rocks the size of my fist under the skin and now the front of my thighs feel like they have been shoved through a meat grinder. yum.
Spencer did amazing- He came in 12th for his age group and placed 124 overall..... his finishing time was 1:51:something. (Sorry I cant remember the seconds) but you get the idea.... He is awesome.Yes, I know this is blurry but - Its the best we got- but dont we look great!Thanks Stevey :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally need to do a half marathon with you little miss speedster!!! I know, I know, I would be trying to catch you the whole way but that would be good motivation for me. Where was this half marathon held?

    You did sooooo awesome! Someday I hope to break the 2 hour mark.

    ReplyDelete