Monday, July 16, 2012

Miracles

Miracles do happen. On July 5, 2012 I gave birth to a beautiful happy healthy little boy. After a 3 day stay at the hospital we took that sweet little man home with us. The whole birth adventure of Lincoln was a complete 180 of when Mr. Gabe joined our family. That whole experience was so frightening and there was much uncertainty. Lincoln's delivery Was a
Breeze and completely perfect. Sunday night as we were adjusting to home life for what-6 whole hours my whole world was turned upside down. Steve was in the kitchen catching up on some homework, and I was shuffling around getting ready for bed. Gabe was sound asleep in his crib and Lincoln was tucked safely in his bassinet next to my bed. I walked into the bedroom and heard him cooing , so naturally I went to go snuggle him a little bit before I finish my bedtime routine. When I reached the bassinet I was horrified to see my 3 day old sons face and chest covered in clots and a pool of blood. I screamed for Steve and he rushed in and called 911. I called my mom and she was immediately there. Just before the ambulance arrived so did my sweet mother in law. Steve had called her to come help him study. She was so wonderful to stay with Gabe while Steve, my mom and I endured the next scariest hours of my life at primary children's hospital. We went to the ER and ther started poking and prodding and shoving tubes down his throat to ind out what in the world was going on with this sweet little boy. Lincoln's oxygen was not exactly stable and at one point he stopped breathing. This concerned the doctors obviously and so they decided to move him to the ICU where he could receive constant care and have more tests run. We spent about 5 hours in the ER where my sister, mom and bishop helped me and Steve try to keep Perspective. At that point we I'm sure already had hundreds of prayers on our behalf. With both if our families and plenty of extended family- they all hit their
knees. Later that night in the ICU we were presented with a bunch of tests our baby would have to undergo, and a list of all the possible infections, viruses, and problems they were testing for and trying to rule out. This was so frightening and positively horrifying. A spinal tap was in the mix to test for bacterial meningitis,and to make matters worse- we were in the very room where 12 years ago I said goodbye to my sister Anna who was taken by the very same infection. How could this be? How could we both been given a clean bill of health and released from the maternity ward just hours before and now this?! 2 years ago when I had Gabe and had so much happen to me- I was fine with it being me in the ICU, but this? This was completely unbearable for
Me. I stood there helpless and unable to take the pain away from this little child who had stolen my now breaking heart. The next day our families had a family fast. Still waiting for the results Lincoln was moved upstairs to a normal bed where he would just be monitored every four hours because his condition was stable. Still nervous and scared we waited and waited for the doctors to figure out what was going on. Incredible faith countless prayers and love from our families,I believe created a miracle. Gratefully we were released the next day because this little boy had a complete turnaround and was acting completely normal and every test had come back negative. The doctors were stymied by the fact that they couldn't understand what had caused the problem for the blood and the breathing problems, but were happy to observe he was exhibiting healthy behaviors. I don't think I have ever been more happy to come home from the hospital then I was that day. I am so grateful that it ended up being nothing. But maybe it wasn't nothing in the first place, but because of the incredible faith and prayers of these wonderful people in our lives this little boys conditions completely dissolved. It never ceases to amaze me when prayers work. I am so grateful for the power of prayer. For my wonderful family. For the wonderful doctors and nurses at primary children's. And that we are home and healthy and happy and getting back to our lives as a family of 4. I have always loved these demdaco figurines, but as I was looking up at my shadow box tonight, they just reminded me of how grateful I am to have both of my precious babies here at home with me. Healthy and very much alive. And that I get the wonderful opportunity to be a mother to these sweet boys and to watch them grow up.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! That is so scary! I remember doing the same thing with Christian when we had been home from the hospital just a day or so and had to rush him back because he couldn't breathe and was turning blue. We were just beyond sick about it, and that fear of the unknown is so frightening. I'm sorry you had to go through this--and you're right--miracles are amazing, wonderful things and I'm so glad you received one. I'm glad you all are home and healthy!

    ReplyDelete