Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Grass is always greener...

So I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I was in one of my very favorite places on earth, with some of my very favorite people on earth. Hurricane. Whenever we venture down there, there is always good conversation to be had. Well we cousins all sat around in my grandmas house talking about life. We got on the subject of marriage and a few of the struggles young married couples deal with. We talked about how the blogging world and facebook era has turned many into believers of a fairytale life-the grass is always greener in someone elses back yard mentality. Everyone else’s life out there is a bowl full of cherries, her husband does this for her, my baby does this already and blah blah blah. It almost seems to be a contest of, whose life is the best? Who is the most creative, who has the most talented kids, who is most successful etc. I saw a post called “blog induced depression”. Have you ever felt this? Often times I find myself wandering from blog to blog, feeling like I don’t quite get what it feels like to have that perfect life. While reading my cousins blog about this very subject (she wasn’t even there for this conversation but )she put it perfectly,"It just seems like a lot of people's blogs or facebook pages are a sort of monument to their own wonderfulness - their perfect lives/houses/bodies/talents/kids/husbands/businesses/etc. You know what I mean? I don't doubt that they are super talented, or amazingly creative, or look super hot but sometimes it feels like more and more people are consumed with portraying perfection at all times when that's just not reality. At least not my reality.”
Maybe we aren’t as willing to share the real life stuff in fear that we might seem less perfect than everyone else. If you are one that gets the inferiority complex or the B.I.D, with your life, (like I sometimes do) after reading other peoples “status” or blogs-Wake up and smell the coffee angel face. Everyone has struggles, everyone has rough days, everyone has times where they just want to give up. But honestly thinking about it- my life IS perfect- it is perfect for ME. Sometimes it gets messy, and sometimes it is hard-We all have our ups and downs...The truth is- if you compare your worsts with others bests- you will ALWAYS come out the underdog, you will always leave feeling ashamed of yourself for somehow not measuring up. For not having the life that "everyone" else does. My goal that I am working on, is being happy with what I have-because that is what was given to me, and not playing the comparison game. Sister Julie Beck said in regional conference last week- “you are better than you think you are, you are doing better than you think you are doing” just because I have a bad day here and there- does not mean I have failed, doesnt mean my life isn’t good, doesn’t mean that everyone else is better than me. It simply means that I am normal. It means that I am human. We ALL have them. Any way- if you are feeling like reading- I highly suggest wandering on over to this blog- she puts this so much more eloquently than I do-(not that I am comparing or anything) it just hits the point good and hard. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

6 comments:

  1. Ya know, I'm kinda bumbed I missed that gab-fest! I bet it was a great conversation. Thanks for posting about it and your take, its soooo easy to get discouraged when all you see are others highs esp when you are feeling low. :) I needed that reminder.
    I love both how you put it and Tyan (what can I say my cousins are truly amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have felt that way for sure! I posted about it one time, and no one ever really commented on it... I thought maybe it was just me that feels like that. PS- your little fam is so cute! I love your photo at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this. It's so true! I have felt the same way soooo many times!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alana I loved this post! I used to feel like this a lot and at one point even thought about cancelling fb and my blog. It was then I stumbled across a blog that had a profound quote. "Happiness is being grateful for what you have." I try to focus on that quote when I star feeling like I need to "keep up with the Jone's". Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you, what's wrong with being happy publicly? We can all sit around and mope all day or we can think about the things we love and are grateful for. If I'm going to take the time to write something down that I want to remember it sure isn't going to be complaining, it's going to be the good things in life. Doesn't mean we don't all have bad days, it just means we are trying to focus on the good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH Alana....Thanks for this post. I really needed to hear this post for some reason. I totally agree with you, girlfriend. (And thanks for your comment on my blog the other day - I think you understand that my life isn't perfect and I defintely don't try to make it seem that way!!)

    Loves you all! Now I need to find a tissue...

    ReplyDelete