Training: 281.6 miles over 3.5 months running 3-4 days a week.
Race day: 13.1 miles 2:02:28
(please excuse the man leg)
I woke up several times in the night ready to get up and go. I was nervous I was going to sleep through my alarm. But as soon as 5 o clock came around- I was tired and wanting to hit the snooze button. Anyway-some toast with honey and some OJ, 3 trips to the bathroom later 530 am hit and Daniel and Susie came and picked me up at Roma Anns house and we headed to the buses. Let me tell you- hurricane is supposed to be a lot warmer in april/may than it was. It was about 40 degrees and soooo windy. I was just hoping things would warm up a bit once the sun came out. Well we got to the starting line and had to wait for about 20- 25 minutes in the blood chilling wind til the race actually started. I had already gone to the bathroom 3 times before I left the house, but my nerves and the cold started to get to me. I thought I was going to have to be one of “those” people and stop on the side of the road- or in my opinion worse- having to go in the porta potty. Well, the gun shot sounded and a sea of people started forward. I was so excited! This thing I had been waiting for and been envisioning for the last 4 months was finally here! I was running a half marathon! I am so happy I got a running belt with little water bottles so I didn’t have to stop for water, and had a little wal mart watch on my wrist. By mile 5 I was keeping a 9 minute mile! That is faster than I had been training at so I was pretty happy. But also at mile 5 hit the Nemesis “throw-up “ mile long hill, in case you are wondering- no I didn’t. Didn’t even cross my mind. I ran up the entire thing, (lost a little bit of time ) but was able to continue on my way. Mile 10 hit and I got a random boost of energy, Stevey took some pictures and cheered me on. Then at mile 12 was my family all there cheering me on with posters and shouts of encouragement. For some weird reason I got a little emotional, but I kept chugging. As I came to the finish line I was stunned to see the time I got. 

Daniel my awesome cousin came in 7 minutes before me and my wonderful cousin, role model and HUGE support Susie came in a minute and half before me.... yeah I was the slowest :)
I finished 8 minutes before my “at best” goal time and 13 minutes before my “realistic” goal time. 2 hours 2 minutes and 28 seconds. I averaged a 9:20 minute mile for 13 miles straight. I placed 11th out of the women in my age group and 65th overall out of 569 participants. I was pretty excited about that. Now I am planning on my next one which will be the Timpanogos half with my brother and sisters in July! I never thought I would be able to do this! Let me just tell you- it feels so great to feel good. What a blessing!
I am so so proud of you!!!!!!! Maybe Daniel and I should do the TImp with you guys we will start a Stout running revolution (mmmm..T'shirts anyone?) I am so glad we did this you totally pushed me... no way would I have kept that pace at the beginning if it wasn't for you! Thank you so much:)
ReplyDeleteyay! good job alana! your time is soooooo impressive, way to go!
ReplyDeleteAwwwwww yeeahhhhhh! :D
ReplyDeleteThat is so inspiring! I wish I could run that much. You did so awesome, good job!
ReplyDeleteWahoo, you look great!! I would love to run a half with you, if you plan on signing up for a another one in the near future let me know, I find I have to sign up for a race to keep myself motivated!
ReplyDeleteAlana that is so awesome! What a GREAT time too! I know how much work it takes to train for a half and I get so excited for anyone that is able to accomplish that! Good work!
ReplyDeleteWhat an accomplishment I am so happy for you. Great job!!!
ReplyDeleteDang Woman, looking at your pics, you didn't even sweat. Were you really running your fastest, cause you should atleast look worn out, but you look like you could go right to the studio for a shoot in Running Magazine.
ReplyDeleteThe Jones's are sure proud of ya. Keep it up.
Ron and Monterey
Holy cow! I'm so proud of you! You are truly amazing. I got a little emotional just looking at the pictures of the signs everyone made for you and imagining how you must have felt. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteRock On Alana!!! Congratulations!!!! That is seriously awesome.
ReplyDelete