Friday, September 25, 2009

The Placard


So I have never really thought myself to be a cripple (is that PC?) or a handicap person(I don’t think t hat is PC either) fine… disabled… whatever... anyway when I was 12 I was diagnosed with a not a huge deal disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, later to find out, its pretty crippling. What 12 year old has arthritis? Was my body aging at such an incredible rate that I was already into the geriatric stage of my life?? No but I was, however, told that once I was able to drive that I would be eligible for a Handicap placard. Cool. In my 12 year old brain I thought to myself I would NEVER get one. I am just a normal person, I don’t need to have a special parking spot shouting to everyone that something was wrong with me. Plus I had gone into remission for several years, so I was able to run, play volleyball, bike, swim, sing, dance, you know- do all sorts of normal things. The only thing that weighed on my mind was the lingering thought that, one of these days- I was going to come out of remission. Well that day did come, in august 2009. This was the worst it has ever hit and the longest it has ever lasted. I have had a few minor spells of ir-remission… but never like this. Walking like a 79 year old woman with a cane, minus the cane, for over 2 months, wishing I could just fly everywhere I go… This is what did it, I swallowed my pride, and printed out the paperwork. Don’t worry I will only use it when I am in il-remission. People don’t judge me.

2 comments:

  1. Next time I go to a concert I'm taking you with me! :)
    But I'm still hoping you wont have to use it for too much longer even though it is nice to get good parking sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! i'm sorry! that sounds terrible! but, way to look on the bright side---handicapped parking? yes, please!

    ReplyDelete